Eastern Sierra Pack Trips
Hey, enjoy this little exercise!
Visit the Backcountry Along Highway 395 With One of Our Members!
Your Email Address:
1) Which of the following is best to ride in the Sierra Nevada?
2) Where's the best place to camp at night?
Next to a stream
Near a waterfall
By the lake
Under a big tree
Close to a rocky outcrop
In the middle of the trail
Where the cook will be preparing dinner!
3) What do you do with your trash?
Bury it under a rock
Pack it back out
Let the animals have it
Burn it in the campfire
Place in the Forest Service cans
Use the bear containers on the trails
Find an outhouse and leave it there
4) Why go for backcountry trips?
All of these!
5) What's the best way to store your food?
Eat it all at once
Hang it from a tree limb
Leave it in a Coleman ice chest
Keep it near you while sleeping
Any of these will do
Place it in an ice chest, but put a big rock on top
Use a bear safe container
6) How far from water must you camp?
It really doesn't matter
Far enough so the waves don't get you
The legal limit is 1/4 mile
At least 100 feet
Ten feet, unless you're uphill, then 15 feet
Thirty feet is the minimum for those on pack trips
Fifty feet is recommended for beginners
7) Where's the restroom in the backcountry?
Every 1/4 mile in Wilderness areas
You always need a portable potty
Anywhere off the trail and 100 feet from water. Bring your shovel.
Bring a milk carton for #1, you must hold the rest.
Observe the animals and follow their lead
Caves are a good place for deposits
Pile rocks in a circle. Bring a Sear's catalog
8) What's the best outfit to wear on the trail
A leisure suit
A birthday suit
A diving suit
None of these are recommended
A clown costume
9) Why do pack animals wear shoes
Boots are for cowboys
Sneakers are for spies
Slippers are for cold feet
Flippers are hard to walk in
To protect their feet
Flip flops fall off too easily
Cleats are for athletes
10) How do you mount a horse
Ask a taxidermist
On a wall, near the fireplace
Normally from the left side
Grab the trail and swing on up
Ask a stallion
Climb a tree and jump on
Usually from the right side
11) Who would you rather see in a halter?
It each his own
A pretty philly
12) Where do the buffalo roam?
Most are in South Dakota
Several have been seen in Nebaskra
Where the deer and antelope play
Only in Yellowstone National Park
Any major city's local zoo
There found on old nickels
13) What's the best thing to use to catch fish in the backcountry
Wet or Dry flies
There're all good
14) What type of fish do you catch in the backcountry?
You might catch any of these
15) Why would anyone go on a packtrip?
It's a great family adventure
These are all great reasons
Backcountry fishing is fantastic
You'll see nature at its best
You'll see stars you didn't know existed
Except for the birds, it's very quiet
No dinner time telemarket calls
Thanks for putting up with our nonsense!